After a car accident in New York, there are several deadlines imposed by state law that must be met to ensure you can obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries and property damage to your vehicle.
If you have been injured, you can seek compensation for your medical expenses and lost income through no-fault insurance benefits. In cases of serious injury, additional compensation may be available. But New York auto insurance and personal injury laws are complex, and the deadlines are often confusing. Additionally, you may not understand the full extent of your injuries in time to file the proper paperwork.
Don’t Miss a Deadline after a Car Accident
New York law requires that you meet very specific deadlines soon after being involved in a collision. Some requirements are clear-cut, but some have conditions that may be confusing. In general, an accident victim in New York must act within these time limits:
- File accident report: 10-day deadline.
- File no-fault claim: 30-day deadline.
- File for lost wages: multiple deadlines.
- File for New York state disability: 30-day deadline.
- File notice of claim (if applicable): 90-day deadline.
- File claim against other driver: no specific deadline, but you should do so as soon as possible.
- File claims with MVAIC (the Motor Vehicle Accident Indemnification Corporation – responsible for no-fault benefits and additional compensation for a serious injury for those injured by someone without insurance): 90 days.
- File SUM/UM claim (supplementary uninsured motorist / under insured motorist): as soon as possible.
- File lawsuit: Typically within three years, but it can be shorter under certain circumstances, and a person who was a minor at time of an accident may qualify for an extension.
Let Bragoli & Associates P.C. Help
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident in New York, you may be eligible for compensation for your expenses and other losses, but you must act within mandated time limits. Bragoli & Assassinates P.C., can review the circumstances of your accident in a free, no obligation consultation and help you understand your legal options and obligations.
Call our office at (631) 423-7755 or submit our online contact form today. Bragoli & Associates P.C., can work with you to obtain justice if you or a family member has been seriously injured because of another driver’s negligence or recklessness.